Birthstones are a great place to start when you are purchasing a piece of jewelry for yourself or someone is purchasing a gift for you. The wearing of birthstones is thought to bring good luck and good health. Astrologers long ago attributed supernatural powers to certain gemstones.
The birthstones we associate with certain months now are not necessarily the same ones as in ancient times. Once, color was the most important feature of a stone. Ancients did not distinguish between a ruby and a garnet, for example.
The names used in history may not relate to the stone we think of with that name today.
- For example, a sapphire in the Bible was probably what we know today as lapis.
- Diamonds were probably a white sapphire or white topaz.
- The stones originally assigned to each month related to the stones appearing on the breastplate of a Jewish high priest.
The following is a list of traditional / modern birthstones:
- January – Garnet
- February – Amethyst
- March – Aquamarine
- April – Diamond / White Topaz
- May – Emerald
- June – Pearl / Alexandrite
- July – Ruby
- August – Peridot
- September – Sapphire
- October – Opal / Tourmaline
- November – Topaz / Citrine
- December – Turquoise / Tanzanite / Blue Topaz / Blue Zircon
Let us help you with your next birthstone purchase.